Tuesday 19 March 2013

Open Licensing

I went searching for Open Education Resources in Cornwall, which is where I'm currently based, but the resources were scarce, so I went with Open Educational Infographics, as "Open" and "infographic" are current buzzwords.  It's of interest to me because the concept of the Higher Educational Institute and University is under the spotlight at the moment. There is a big conversation around the notion of "Openness" and sharing in all aspects of life at the moment and it has developed into a bandwagon. I've been championing Open Source technologies for several years and am looking at how the philosophy of community/peer support, group development and sharing of learning and learning resources is being applied in HE.


What surprised me about my search, is that there are masses of infographics relating to  Open Education, but none that  have CC licenses applied.  I broadened my search to Open Education:













All these resources are licensed for reuse under Creative Commons. Images could be used in presentations. I particularly like the video 'Why Open Education Matters' which is an animated introduction to the subject. It's short, simple and visually appealing. The second video was created with Open Source video editing software 'Blender' and is an example of what can be achieved using Open Source software for film making.